Scholarship Description: Applications are invited for Postdoctoral Fellowship for Sub-Saharan Africans at AIMS in Tanzania. As a self-governing non-profit trust, which is supported by several universities, AIMS offers postgraduate programmes to talented students from the African continent.
The purpose of the programme is to provide opportunities to the postdoctoral mathematician under the guidance of AIMS, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences.
Scholarship Provider: South Africa is lucky to have one of the four DAAD Information Centers in Sub-Saharan Africa. It is located in Johannesburg with a nationwide mandate for the Republic of South Africa. The Information Center provides information and consultations for South African institutions, Higher Education Management, Academics, Future Researchers, Students and Staff. It coordinates a variety of projects and programmes in all fields of higher education and research cooperations between South Africa and Germany.
Degree Level: Fellowship is available to pursue Postdoctoral programme.
Available Subject: The scholarship at AIMS Tanzania is available in the following field Mathematics.
Scholarship Benefits: The fellowship covers:
- A flat-rate travel allowance: The flat rate travel allowance will be specified in the letter of award
- A monthly research allowance of 100 EUR
- A monthly instalment of 1000 EUR
- If a health insurance is compulsory for work and/or visa regulations DAAD will accept the costs for a standard tariff upon submission of receipt of paid invoice.
- The scholarship is designed as a subsidy to the scholar’s current salary/study leave income
Number of Scholarships: It has been agreed upon that DAAD co-operates with AIMS by offering 1 Postdoctoral Fellowship at the AIMS Centre in Tanzania.
Eligible Nationalities: This fellowship is available for Sub-Saharan Africans: Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, CentraAngola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina l African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Democratic Republic), Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Eligibility Criteria: Applicants have to
- Have completed their PhD degree not more than six years ago.
- Be current or prospective teaching or research staff at a university or research institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Be invited by AIMS.
- Preferably are nationals of an African country.
Application Procedure: Documents to be submitted
- DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal).
- Curriculum Vitae, including the list of publications (if applicable).
- Invitation and nomination by the host institution
- Research proposal (up to 5 pages) including detailed time and work plan which must have been arranged in advance with the host researcher.
- 2 recommendation letters by academic referees.
- PhD certificate (certified as a true copy of the original certificate).
- Master’s certificate (certified as a true copy of the original certificate).
Deadline: September 30, 2018