GIST welcomes you, pioneers of advanced science and technology! The Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology is a research-oriented institute established by the Korean government in 1993, and through the Ministry of Science and Technology is providing full financial support to students in order to foster scientific technologists with advanced leadership skills. In the 26-year history of its establishment, GIST’s research and education are evolving towards world-class levels.
To enhance our competitiveness, GIST has carefully selected leading fields of science and technology, which includes Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Earth Sciences and Environmental Engineering, Life Science, Physics and Photon Science, Chemistry, Biomedical Science and Engineering, Nanobio Materials and Electronics, Integrated Technology, and Artificial Intelligence. In addition, students admitted to GIST have privileges of full scholarship, complementary accommodation (including dormitory or apartment), supplementary research funds among the others.
In 2010, GIST opened its doors to undergraduate students. GIST is the first university in the nation to adopt an innovative system providing a comprehensive, foundational science curriculum to serve as a stepping stone for research into a wide variety of science and engineering fields.
Masters, Ph.D., Integrated MS, and PhD Program.
Scholarships are awarded to study the subjects offered by the university.
- All International Students will be getting 100% support in the tuition fees.
- Ms students will be given a monthly stipend of 140,000 won.
- PhD students will be given a monthly stipend of 295,000 won.
- A one-way flight to Korea will be reimbursed.
- 60% of national health will be covered. Health insurance also includes annual medical checkups.
- International students allowance of 120,000 won will be given to both Ms and PhD students, however, the student has to maintain a 3 or higher GPA out of 4.5 in the previous semester.
- Both MS and PhD students will be given a meal allowance of 100,000 won.
- All Ms students participating in the research program will get a research assistantship of 4,785,384 won per year while PhD students participating in a research program will get a research assistantship of 12,263,262 won per year.
International Students are eligible.
- The applicant must be an international student.
- The applicant must or expect to hold a final degree before enrolment at GIST.
- The applicant’s bachelor’s degree must be equal to a Korean bachelor’s degree.
- The applicant must be proficient in the English language.
- Official Degree and Transcript are required. For all undergraduate and graduate degree programs Apostille is preferred. Or notarized copies will be accepted.
- Two letters of recommendation letters will be received directly do recommenders.
- A copy of the applicant’s passport is required.
- A letter of recommendation from the department chair in your home university. The recommender’s signature or stamp must be included.
- A certificate of English language proficiency is Any student admitted to the Institute with conditional admission due to unavailability of official English test results must submit the official English test results that meet the application criteria of the Institute to the Department Office within 6 months from the date of admission. Any person who has been conditionally admitted to the Institute, but fails to fulfill the requirements stated above, will automatically be removed from the school register 7 months after the date of admission. filled by your home university.