Scholarship Description: Ghent University is offering Research fellowship Bio-informatics: “Clinical implementation of genomics based precision oncology pipelines”. International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
Scholarship Provider: Ghent University is a top 100 university and one of the major universities in Belgium. Our 11 faculties offer a wide range of courses and conduct in-depth research in both exact and social sciences. Ghent University aims to encourage its students to adopt a critical approach within a creative, development-oriented educational and research environment.
To be able to determine the proficiency of someone’s knowledge of Dutch or English, Ghent University uses the Common European Framework Reference for Foreign Languages. There are six foreign language proficiency levels and is a basis for the recognition of language qualifications.
Degree Level: Fellowships are available to pursue research.
Available Subject: Fellowships are awarded within the Department of Pediatrics and medical genetics.
Scholarship Benefits: The university offers:
- A 2-year translational research position with an option to extend
- Participate in an exciting and rapidly evolving research area of clinically translational genomics
- Research team operating at international level and dedicated to improve survival of patients with cancer
- “State-of-the-art” technology and facilities (sequencing, single cell sequencing and manipulation, bioinformatics, mouse and zebrafish modeling, molecular biology, etc)
- The opportunity to work in a dynamic and interdisciplinary academic research environment
- Embedded within top-research teams with a broad range of expertise
- Collaborate with and assist wetlab scientists in the design, analysis and interpretation of cancer genomics data
Eligible Nationalities: International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
Eligibility Criteria: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
You will work in a multidisciplinary environment under the supervision of senior scientists in bioinformatics and molecular biology in the Center for Medical Genetics (cmgg.be) and within the broader framework of the Cancer Research Institute Ghent (crig.ugent.be) where you will implement and develop (new) algorithms for genomics analysis of tumors aiming at a more precise care for the patient.
- MSc with a specialization track in bioinformatics or equivalent through experience OR holder of a PhD degree in bio-informatics, (medical) biology, (bio-) engineering, computer science, or related fields, obtained in the last 5 years. Candidates with prior experience in (epi)genomics technologies and standard bioinformatics and statistical skills are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates should be team players able to help organizing multidisciplinary projects and have strong strategic analytical problem-solving skills (creative, critical, and open-minded).
- Experience with the analysis of sequencing data, such as human whole exome/genome sequencing, (single cell) RNA-sequencing, including quality control, read mapping, variant detection, de novo assembly, SNP/indel calling, copy number and structural variation analysis, expression level analysis, etc is a plus.
- Solid experience with bioinformatics programming, databases and statistics for bioinformatics, including scripting (e.g. Perl, Python), R (incl. Bioconductor), UCSC Genome Browser, Ensembl API, etc, knowledge of relational databases (MySQL, etc) and web servers (Apache, etc) is strongly recommended.
- Basic insight of (cancer) biology and genomics.
- International experience (internships, short visits, etc) is appreciated.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; English language proficiency.
Application Procedure: Candidates can apply by sending their CV and letter of motivation to Annelies De Paepe (A.DePaepe-at-ugent.be) before June 30th, 2018. Top-ranked candidates will be invited for an interview (either skype or on site). Location: Medical Research Building (MRB1) Center for Medical Genetics Ghent (CMGG) Ghent University Hospital Corneel Heymanslaan 10 B-9000 Ghent, Belgium tel +32 9 332 39 45 /+32 9 332 24 51.
Deadline: July 01, 2018