Scholarship Description: The University of Trento is inviting applications for its 34th cycle of PhD Scholarship in Materials, Mechatronics and Systems Engineering for the 2018-2019 academic year. These scholarships are available to foreign students.
The University of Trento is an Italian university located in Trento and nearby Rovereto. It has been able to achieve considerable results in didactics, research, and international relations according to CENSIS and the Italian Ministry of Education.
Degree Level: Scholarship is available to pursue PhD programme.
Available Subject: Scholarship is awarded in Materials, Mechatronics and Systems Engineering.
Scholarship Benefits: Starting from the 1st January 2018 the annual gross amount of the doctoral scholarship has increased to € 15.343,28, including the social security contributions that have to be paid by the Doctoral students.
The University of Trento in order to enhance, even economically, those involved in the doctoral path, has decided to increase it up to the gross amount of € 16.290,00 starting from the 1st November 2018 (A.Y. 2018/2019).
Eligible Nationalities: These scholarships are available to foreign students.
Eligibility Criteria: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Applications for doctoral positions are accepted from applicants, regardless of gender, age and nationality, who hold:
- An Italian “Laurea Magistrale”, according to the Ministerial Decree no. 270 of 22.10.2004 and subsequent amendments, or
- An equivalent Italian university degree (previous regulations in force, “specialistica”, AFAM), or
- An equivalent foreign degree (Master’s degree) obtained at an officially acknowledged academic institution, valid for admission to PhD studies in the Country of issue (except for substantial differences) and similar (duration and level) to the Italian degree, recognized as equivalent by the Admissions Committee for the sole purpose of access to the present Phd Programme2 .
- Applications are also accepted from students expecting to obtain the necessary degree by October 31, 2018. Admission to the Doctoral Programme for successful applicants who have not yet graduated will be “conditional” and the applicant will have to submit to the Doctorate Office S&T (via email to: [email protected]) by November 6, 2018, on penalty of exclusion, awarding certificate or a self declaration (by using Annex A).
- Applicants with a foreign qualification that has not been officially recognised as equivalent3 to an Italian degree (Laurea Magistrale/Specialistica/vecchio ordinamento) will be considered as requesting equivalence in their application, attaching the necessary supporting documents. The eligibility of foreign academic degrees is assessed by the Admissions Committee, following the rules in force or the international treaties on recognition of academic qualifications. The Admissions Committee may require the applicant to provide additional documentation if deemed necessary for the purpose of assessing the suitability.
Language Requirements: English language certification establishing a minimum level of B1 according to CEFR9. The following exceptions are accepted:
– If the candidate is a native English speaker or attended a Bachelor’s or Master’s level course taught entirely in English, a self-declaration is sufficient.
– If the candidate studied or carried out research abroad for 6-months minimum in a country where the knowledge of English is required, a certification by the institution where the candidate carried out the activity, stating the level of English obtained, is sufficient (EU citizens may deliver a self-declaration, according to art. 46 of Presidential Decree n. 445 of 28.12.2000 and subsequent amendments, only for activities that have been carried out at a public institution of the member countries of the European Union);
– If the candidate passed one or more English language exams at level B1 during Bachelor or Master’s degree, a certificate by the University stating the level of English obtained is sufficient (EU citizens may deliver a self-declaration, according to art. 46 of Presidential Decree n. 445 of 28.12.2000 and subsequent amendments, only for activities that have been carried out at a public institution of the member countries of the European Union).
Application procedure: 1. The application4 must be completed and submitted by hrs. 04.00 PM Italian time (GMT +2) of August 22, 2018, solely by the online system: http://www.unitn.it/en/apply/dott.%20Applicants%20who%20do%20not%20have%20an%20account%20at%20the%20University%20of%20Trento%20must%20register%20in%20advance%20at: http://www.unitn.it/account.
- The application is subject to the payment of an application fee – non-refundable – amounting to € 15 to be paid by credit card according to the instructions given in the appropriate section of the online application. The application online can be saved and modified several times until the submission. Afterwards it can no longer be changed.
- It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to verify and submit with correct closure the online application (ensuring reception of the email notification). The University refuses any liability for all applications not properly submitted by candidates. The online application is considered to be a self-declaration of personal data and qualifications with full legal effect.
- During the filling out of the application online candidates must choose which Research area(s) (max. 2, specifying the order of preference) they are interested to apply for. If a candidate is short-listed in more than one Research area, he/she will be enrolled in the research area that was selected as first choice in the application online and deleted from the other ranking. Candidates, who select more than one Research area in the application online, must attach a statement of purpose and a research project for each area.
5, MANDATORY ATTACHMENTS (failure to upload one or more mandatory attachments results in automatic exclusion from the selection):
- Identifying document (ID):
- Academic degree for admission to PhD
- Curriculum vitae et studiorum (in Italian or English)
- Summary of the Master’s thesis in English
- Statement of purpose in English (max. 3000 characters, including spaces),
- A description of the research project
6, OPTIONAL ATTACHMENTS:
– List of research outputs;
– Any certificates attesting the knowledge of foreign languages;
– Any other documents useful to assess the research skills of the applicant (prizes, scholarships, postgraduate research and work activity, recommendation letters, etc.)
– Up to two (2) names of contact persons (referees, experts in the fields of the PhD Programme members of universities or national and international research institutions), with details of their e-mail addresses and phone numbers.
Deadline: August 22, 2018