Scholarship Description: The new INVITE doctoral scholarship programme is now available at The University of Verona in Italy. Students of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
The INVITE doctoral programme aims to encourage each student’s intellectual curiosity and support the acquisition of critical thinking skills by training them in the use of innovative theoretical tools and practical methods.
Scholarship Provider: The University of Verona is a young, dynamic university that invests in academic research and encourages teaching methods that promote personal and intellectual growth. More than 23 000 students are supported by its 1 500 university staff which include lecturers, researchers, technicians and administrative personnel, who contribute to the quality of student life by providing a solid framework of structural, financial and human resources.
Degree Level: Scholarships are available to pursue Doctoral programme.
Available Subject: INVITE offers a total of 14 PhD positions to train early-stage researchers in the scientific disciplines covered by its doctoral programmes, organized in four Graduate schools: Arts and Humanities; Legal and Economic Sciences; Health and Life Sciences; Natural and Engineering Sciences. The applicants are expected to propose a research proposal within the 14 different research areas.
The applicants are expected to submit a proposal within the following research areas:
Arts and Humanities
- The experience of the Other: the stranger, the foreigner, the different, the outsider, the unknown
PhD programme in Foreign Literatures, Languages and Linguistics
- Philosophy and Inclusive Societies: gender and queer studies; cultural studies
PhD programme in Human Sciences
- Dante from the Middle Age to the Modern Era
PhD programme in Philology, Literature, and Performance Studies
Legal and Economic Sciences
- Economics and Management
PhD programme in Economics and Management
- Legal Issues of Data in the Information Society
PhD programme in European and International Legal Sciences
Health and Life Sciences
- Genomics, Epidemiology–biostatistics, and Microbiology
PhD programme in Applied Life and Health Sciences
- Biochemistry, and Clinical Proteomics and Genomics
PhD programme in Biomolecular Medicine
- Cardiovascular Science
PhD programme in Cardiovascular Sciences
- Epidemiology, Genetics, and Pathophysiology
PhD programme in Clinical and Experimental Biomedical Sciences
- Inflammation, Immunity, and Cancer
PhD programme in Inflammation, Immunity, and Cancer
- Neurosciences, Psychological and Psychiatric Sciences, and Movement Sciences
PhD programme in Neuroscience, Psychological and Psychiatric Sciences, and Movement Sciences
Natural and Engineering Sciences
- Plant biotechnology
PhD programme in Biotechnology
- Medical informatics, Biomedical image processing, and Bioinformatics
PhD programme in Computer Science
- Nanoscience in translation
PhD Programme in Nanosciences and Advanced Technologies
Scholarship Benefits: The salary will be paid on a monthly basis and is composed of the following components (gross amounts):
- Living allowance: €2000/month for 36 months;
- Mobility allowance: €600/month for 36 months;
- Family allowance: €150/month for 36 months for students with family obligations at the deadline of the INVITE call for candidatures.
The family allowance is reserved for applicants linked to another person by (i) marriage, or (ii) a relationship with equivalent status to a marriage recognized by the legislation of the country where this relationship was formalized, or (iii) dependent children who are actually being maintained by the candidate.
The University of Verona, in cooperation with the International Students Services, assists the PhD students in the context of:
- Entry procedures (for EU and non-EU citizens),
- Visas and residence permits (for non-EU citizens),
- Tax identification codes,
- Healthcare insurance or registration in the Italian healthcare system,
- And the opening of an Italian bank account.
As PhD students and research staff, the INVITE PhD students will benefit from:
- Access to the canteens of the University of Verona at a special discounted price;
- Access to the kindergarten of the University of Verona for their children at a special discounted price;
- Access to language courses organized by the Linguistic Centre of the University of Verona at a special discounted price;
- Discounts for cultural events taking place in Verona,
- Discounts for hardware and software for personal use
Eligible Nationalities: Students of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
INVITE is open to early-stage researchers from any country and of any nationality who wish to embark on a doctoral programme of the University of Verona. The University of Verona will do all the best to ensure an equal treatment for all candidates.
Few restrictions apply to candidates:
- They must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Italy for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the call deadline;
- They must hold a Master’s Degree(Master of Science or Master of Arts) or similar degree equivalent to the Italian Laurea Magistrale or Specialistica that, in their country of origin, grants access to PhD programmes;
- They must not already hold a PhD and must have less than 4 years (full-time equivalent) of research experience.
Candidates with disabilities or specific learning difficulties
The University of Verona will apply specific measures for candidates with disabilities (e.g. blind or deaf candidates, or those suffering from any other relevant disability) and to those with specific learning difficulties (e.g. candidates diagnosed with dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia or dysorthographia).
Such candidates are required to notify their status during the application and should provide the University of Verona with clinical certificates issued by competent healthcare authorities or medical practitioners.
Candidates with refugee or asylum seeker status
INVITE participates in the EU initiative Science4Refugees. The period before refugee status is conferred will not be counted as a ‘period of residence/activity in the country of the beneficiary’ under the mobility rule.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Application Procedure: The following documents must be provided:
- Application form;
- Detailed CV;
- Copy of any Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree certificate;
- Diploma Supplement (if available);
- Motivation and presentation letter;
- Short proposal for a research project within the advertised research areas;
- Two reference letters issued by academic professors at the university where the applicant obtained their Master’s Degree.
All documents must be submitted in English, and an English translation of any certificate and other official documents must be provided.
If the prerequisites listed above are not fulfilled, the candidate may be excluded from the selection procedure at any time, even after examination sessions.