Scholarship Description: The National Institute for Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS) invites applications for postdoctoral fellowships in land and agrarian issues in honour of the late Professor Sam Moyo.
Scholarship Provider: The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS) was established on 5 December 2013 as an independent statutory body in terms of Gazette No. 37118 vol. 582 and in accordance with Section 69 read with sections 38A, 38B, and 38C of the Higher Education Act (Act No 101 of 1997).
The candidate should have a very good command of English language. Therefore, the application should be written in English.
Degree Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing postdoctoral programme.
Available Subject: Scholarships are awarded in Land and Agrarian Issues in Honour of the Late Professor Sam Moyo.
Scholarship Benefits: Successful applicants will receive funding for a period of one year valued at R300 000 per annum, but renewable for a further year depending on satisfactory academic progress and availability of funds. The successful applicants will be required to sign conditions of grant before the fellowship is released. The fellowship programme will be administered by the NIHSS and payment will occur in terms of standard NIHSS financial policies and procedures.
Eligibility Nationalities: Citizens of South Africa are eligible to apply.
Eligibility Criteria: The Sam Moyo Land and Agrarian Reform postdoctoral fellowships will support South African scholars, who are not in full-time employment for the duration of the funding period. Applicants will be researchers who have a PhD not older than 4 years in all areas of the humanities and social sciences as long as they address land and agrarian focussed research topics. Researchers will also be encouraged to explore the policy implications of their research findings. Applicants should meet the following requirements:
Relevant academic qualifications
Coherence and feasibility of the proposed research project
Contribution of the project to the body of knowledge in the field
Publication/s in peer-reviewed journals
Potential to enhance research activity in the host institution and department
The mode of applying is online. Candidates should submit the following documentation for application:
- Letter of confirmation by the prospective department, faculty and or university that the applicant will be pursuing postdoctoral research.
- A motivation letter including the candidate’s areas of research expertise, research interests, and experience (not longer than 1000 words).
- A recent intellectual autobiography: a narrative of the major influences in the applicant’s intellectual life (not longer than one A4 page – 500 words).
- A research proposal outlining the research project and the contribution it will make to the body of knowledge in the particular field of study
- Two letters of recommendation from at least two referees who have taught, supervised, or worked with the applicant.
- Certified copies of all academic transcripts and degree certificates.
- A certified copy of the applicant’s ID/passport
- Sample copies of the applicant’s best writing, e.g. a chapter from their Master’s/PhD study or any published academic work.
- A CV including a full list of publications.
The mode of applying is online.
Deadline: June 29, 2018