Scholarship Description: The University of Cape Town (UCT) is inviting applications for postgraduate research scholarship (masters and doctoral) within the Faculty of Health Sciences. International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
The scholarship has been established to provide support for a PhD (or Masters) student who will be required to assist the research team in the Department of Child Health and Paediatrics to study the impact of prenatal alcohol exposure on early neurocognitive development.
Scholarship Provider: The University of Cape Town (UCT) is a public research university located in Cape Town in the Western Cape province of South Africa. It is jointly the oldest university in South Africa and the oldest extant university in Sub-Saharan Africa alongside Stellenbosch.
Degree Level: Scholarships are available to pursue Postgraduate research programme.
Scholarship Benefits: The value of the scholarship amounts to R50 000 per annum for Masters Students and R100 000 per annum for PhD students. The value will not increase over subsequent years. The scholarship is tenable for one year, Renewal for further years will be considered on evidence of satisfactory academic progress and availability of funds.
Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- Masters (or Honours) Degree in appropriate Health Sciences or Social Sciences discipline (e.g., Public Health, Paediatrics, Human Biology, Psychiatry, Psychology, or related discipline)
- Strong verbal and written communication in English
- Interest in research on child health and development
- Clinical research experience
- Fluent in one of the following languages: Xhosa or Afrikaans
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience working with young children and their caregivers
- Experience administering formal cognitive and behavioural assessments to children and their parents
Application Procedure: To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Emma Eastman at emma.eastman-at-uct.ac.za.
- UCT Application Form
- A letter of motivation
- Copies of academic transcripts
- Letters of reference from two academics, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)